Installing WordPress on computer using Instant WordPress is quite easy and less time consuming for beginners. Instant WordPress is a computer software, it allows you to use WordPress on your computer (localhost) without internet connection.
Let’s talk, how you can Optimize WordPress Database of your blog. Optimizing database will keep your blog speedy and smooth in terms of loading time and speed. Before I start, you should know basic things such as how WordPress database works and why you should really worry about WordPress database optimization?
What is WordPress Database?
WordPress database stores content of website or blog. This content includes blog posts, page content, comments and other form of content i.e. team, portfolio data, deleted items which are sent to trash etc. It also stores core WordPress settings i.e. your webpage settings, blog settings, plugin settings and of course theme settings too.
Other than that WordPress database also stores post revisions (autosave and manually), auto draft posts, posts in trash etc. This kind of data is not very useful for you and it also occupies disk space on your hosting.
All this data is stored in WordPress Database in the form of tables. And these tables are so called database tables. WordPress uses MySQL data management system for the purpose creation and storage of data in the form of database tables.
Why You should Bother to Optimize WordPress Database?
Large size of database is the main reason for bad response time and low page loading speed of your blog. Over the time these useless pieces of files (residual data) accommodate in large size on your database. This residual data causes to slow down your blog speed and badly affect overall response.
In order to keep your blog speedy and flawless you must optimize WordPress database on regular basis.
How to Optimize WordPress Database with WP-Optimize?
You can easily optimize your WordPress database by using a killer plugin called WP-Optimize. Best thing about using this WordPress database plugin is – it offers One Click solution for optimization of your database. It also calculates and shows your database size and how much disk space you have saved so far, using WP-optimize plugin.
Things covered by WP-Optimize plugin to optimize:
- Delete post revisions: When you make changes in a post, WordPress keeps an older version of that post. So that you can restore that older version anytime. Let’s say you updated a post 5 times then WordPress will keep 5 versions of same post. However these older versions are not at all useful for you. Because you are only concerned about the latest version of the post which you have updated last time. So it’s better to remove all other older post revisions
- Delete auto drafts: Auto draft is also same as post revision. When you write a post, WordPress auto saves your post after a fixed time. This is certainly a useful feature. In case something went wrong, you won’t lose all your post. But over the time these auto drafts increase the size of your WordPress database. So you should consider removing them.
- Clean all posts in trash: When you delete a post, it moves to the trash folder. And to delete it permanently you need to clean trash of your WordPress site. Once you decided to delete a post there is no pint of keeping it in the trash. Better you check the corresponding box to delete stuff in the trash.
- Remove spam comments and comments in trash: Ahh! If your WordPress blog is bit older and performing well. Then you must be facing a lot of span commenting. WP-Optimize allows you to delete spam comments as well as comments in the trash.
- Delete unapproved comments: If you are sure that comments pending for moderation are spam. You can directly delete them by checking the box on WP-Optimize dashboard.
- Remove transients options, Remove pingbacks and Remove trackbacks: In general you don’t need to keep any of them. So it’s better to check their boxes too to remove them.
Other Optimization Actions:
- Optimize database tables: Don’t forget to check this option. By checking this box you are allowing WP-Optimize to optimize WordPress database and its tables to keep them in order to work properly.
After checking the corresponding boxes you wish to optimize, click on the Process button to start optimization. Database Optimization process took some time depending upon the size of the database. When optimization completed it shows the statistics of the optimization as shown in picture.
I hope this guide will help to optimize WordPress database using WP-Optimize. Let the readers know your experience using this plugin. Or suggest some other plugin which you use to optimize WordPress database.