Enable Outlook like email preview pane in Gmail. To change user interface of your Gmail and to read your emails right from your Gmail home page, you just need to enable a Gmail plugin once…
In this post you’ll learn how to find whether a Google Chat Contact is online from an android device or from personal computer in Gmail Chat Box. You just need to enable a Gmail plugin in your Gmail Account once and you are done. Scroll down for step by step process.
Gmail has many features and widgets which don’t come enable by default. By the time Gmail has updated many features like Gmail Chat (previously known as GTalk) has been changed into Google Hangouts. Previously GTalk was default Google Chat Service with features like simple text chat, video chat and sms chat along with the feature of your status: Available, Busy, Away and Invisible.
Now Google Hangouts comes as default chat service with Gmail account. Hangouts is loaded with few additional features like send massages to a chat contact while he or she is offline (now the same feature is also added in the older chat service – Gmail Chat), users can set Moods in place of Status in Google Hangouts.
Nowadays most of us are using Gmail and Google Chat from android devices, and many times we wonder whether a friend is online from personal computer or he or she is online from an android device. To find this out you only need to enable a Gmail plugin, following steps will show how you can do that:
- Open your Gmail in desktop browser and find out whether you are using Gmail Chat or Google Hangouts as default messaging service, given below screen shots will help you to find out.
- If you are using Gmail Chat shown in Image 1 then you can skip Step 3 & 4 and directly go to Step 5. And if you are using Google Hangouts shown in Image 2, first you need to switch to Gmail Chat service, follow Step 3 & 4.
- To enable Gmail Chat, click on the Hangouts profile name and a sub menu option will open and you’ll find an option named Revert to old chat.
- Select Revert to old chat option, a pop-up window will open, asking you to confirm. Confirm your selection by clicking on Revert to old chat button. Your Gmail will reload and you are now switched to Gmail Chat (this switch is not permanent, you can go back to Google Hangouts any time by following the same procedure).
- Go to Gmail Settings by visiting Settings button in upper left corner of Gmail.
- In Gmail Settings, select Labs tab and scroll down to find a Green Robot! plugin developed by Chad Y.
- Select the Enable option and then click on Save Changes button and you are done.
- Your Gmail will reload and you’ll find Android Robot icons for users who are logged in from android devices, in Google Chat box.
If somebody is online from personal computer, it will show colored bullet points or video cam icon as shown previously in Google Chat.
Robot color indicates online status of Google Chat user,
- Green Robot = Available
- Orange Robot = Away
- Red Robot = Busy
Hope this guide will help you to find out who is online from an android device. If you have any query regarding this guide please post your query in comment section.